The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Perma-gardening

We had a perma-gardening class yesterday. I'm so excited to start my garden, though not looking forward to turning over the rock hard soil! Things that grow well are kale, spinach, beats, and different types of peas. All of which I harvested last year on the Sierra Valley farm. For some reason my host family doesn't buy any of them. The only veggies I've seen are cabbage, carrots, onions, tomatoes, potatoes some green leafy stuff that's from some unknown plant and different varieties of squash. They also have hardened corn and told me they don't have sweet corn. Maybe it's too dry?  

I'm really enjoying the cool nights and sometimes enjoying the open ventilation in the house. Trying to savor every moment it's not too hot! I do need to figure out a way to cover the vents on the southern wall of my room since that is where the open fire is and seems to be where the prevailing wind is coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment