The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

PC Boot Camp


Training is 10 weeks and it’s like boot camp! 10 hr days and 4 hrs of language on Saturday… the language is very difficult! We're done Oct 15 and I can’t wait to get to my site and have my own place. I do feel safe, there are mostly thefts and burglary, not assaults or violent crime, though someone took my water bottle from a wedding Saturday. Everyone from the village is invited to the wedding, so there’s no such thing as a wedding crasher. I've been afraid to carry my camera after what they said about theft. It doesn't fit in my backpack with all the books and papers, so there’s no way to hid it. We are supposed to get a couple days off for holidays and I’ll be going to a current Peace Corps site to shadow in a couple weeks and hope to pull it out then.

The wedding was long and the traditional dancers were great to watch, otherwise it was pretty boring. The speeches were in Setswana and my brother, sister and her cousin just drank all afternoon/evening. They drank mostly in the parking lot because people “don’t drink” in Botswana, I’m finding out that there are many things that Botwanans "don’t do” things that aren’t their “culture” yet many people still “do” them. They hide the alcohol at the wedding and tailgate in the parking lot!

The weather is just like Tahoe late summer/early fall very dry highs in the 70s lows in the 40s you can see the milky way!! Stars are amazing!! It's getting hotter, soon to be in the 80’s… then 90’s summer is coming, but nights stay cool... Very dusty, Lots of sand

In Gabs, the capital of Botswana, to get a skin check at the dermatologist. I get to stay at a hotel! such a treat to have decent food and a clean place with a hot shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment