The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

My Botswana Family

When I got home from training I played soccer with my 11 year old nephew. He wanted to challenge me to one touch, only kick the ball once to get it back to the other person. I got quite the workout! He has a tournament next weekend and is confident that his team will win. They only lost one game so far this season.

I’ve really enjoyed getting to know my host family. The 2 year old has unbelievable amounts of energy and wants to always come and take something from my room. He can kick the soccer ball a few yards in the direction that he wants it to go! They call him the troublemaker. There are 5 cousins currently staying at the family compound, 2, 3, 8, 11 and 18, my host mom, their grandmother, and her 96 year old mother that can’t walk and just lays on a pad in her room, or outside if it’s nice out. Only one of the 3 sisters is married, though all of them have kids. It’s very common to have children and not be married, or divorced and for them to stay with the grandparents.

I have 7 brothers and sisters who all seem to really like to party! They range from 21 – 43 or something like that and live mostly in Gaborone (Gabs).

No comments:

Post a Comment